On April 15, 2015, 61-year-old rural mail carrier Doug Hughes grabbed headlines after flying his one-man gyrocopter from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to Washington DC and touching down on the west lawn of the Capitol building, bringing with him 535 letters - one for each member of Congress to draw attention to the pressing need for campaign finance reform.
In this interview with The Young Turks’ Cenk Uygur, Hughes talks about:
- How he came up with the idea for his historic flight
- Whether he was concerned about being shot out of the air
- How politicians, the moneyed interests and the mainstream media all conspire to perpetuate a corrupt system
- How the right and left can come together to battle corporate cronyism and government corruption
- The felony and misdemeanor charges against him and the upcoming trial that could send him away for X years in prison
- How crony capitalism and a corrupt Congress are intentionally driving the US Postal Service into bankruptcy
- The next stunt he’s planning to shake Americans out of their complacency about the need to get money out of politics and restore democracy.
Want to support Douglas Hughes in his crusade to get money out of politics?
- Follow him on Twitter: @DougHughesDCfly
- Provide him with financial support on his GoFundMe page here: http://www.gofundme.com/sn8gc2s
- Learn more about Douglas Hughes and the battle to get money out of politics here: http://thedemocracyclub.org
He also has a nationwide action planned to coincide with his trial during which he hopes to have volunteers 'out' retired local congressional representatives who are now earning millions as lobbyists. The goal: tie the local 'scandal' to the national story and the trial which is the story of the day. Reach out to Doug on Twitter if you want to participate.
Like this interview? Enough that you want to throw a little Bitcoin our way? Great! Do it here: https://www.coinbase.com/TYT
Direct download: TYT_Interviews__Doug_Hughes.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00pm EDT